Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Election Day Adventures

What an interesting past couple of weeks to say the least. I was out of the town about 8 of the last 10 days before the election. Along with this 2 of our cars broke down, and my wife has an art gallery opening next week. So my contributions to the political fights here locally were less then I had hoped, but fun none the less.

A couple days before the election I went knocking doors with Pam Newton who was defending (and won) her county board seat. Pam is a very energetic person! I honestly had no idea some one could be so excited over knocking doors with me, but I do have an excellent knock. I ran across several interesting people, most were very polite, and surprisingly only one said no thank you to my material. The highlight of the that afternoon was the guy with the original 1970 Chevelle LS6 in his garage, nice guy, but I wonder if really voted.

On election day I spent 8 hours in the polling stations as a poll watcher for Congressman Mark Kirk. There were two highlights:

1.Saying hello to Richard Dent, a member of the '85 bears, as he came into vote. The guy was huge (and I am 6'5”) but I could tell he was a real teddy bear, j/k. Actually the sad part was not finding him on my Republican Tally sheet from the Kirk Campaign. Equally sad was not finding myself on that sheet!
2.Meeting the nice election lawyer who represented Mark Seals- the Democratic Candidate for Congress. He was a nice guy, but I couldn't telling him after he asked if there were any problems with the voting by telling him all minorities were being turned away. It took him a second but he laughed and patted me on the back. I then gave him an old dutch rub. OK I made up that last part.

Our precinct did well. We brought home the bacon and had a good turnout. Our congressman won and so did several other Republicans.

I am still contemplating what to think of the election. I was sick and mostly speaking in slurred speech until about lunch, but then I began to see it in a different light. I really think this is going to bring the Repubs (of which I am one) back to some sort of reality. The truth is spending was way over board and power can corrupt. I would like to see a very fiscally restrained house, and face it, it would never had happened with a reelection. I really though worry about tax hikes under Pelosi and Wrangle and supreme court nominees. I worry even more about a spending war over Iraq. There is a sense of relief though with Rumsfeld gone, although I thought he was great.

Anyway, it's Romney Time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home